Dom and Dom Museum

 

The history of Frankfurt cathedral, which was never a bishop seat but was given its name Kaiserdom (imperial cathedral) thanks to its historic significance, can be traced back to a chapel built in the Merovingian period prior to 680. Dedicated in 1239 to Holy Bartholomew, as of 1356 the Dom was specified as place of royal coronations in the Golden Bull (kingdom code). Between 1562 and 1792 it was coronation venue of the emperors.

In addition to valuable findings from a girl’s grave in the Merovingian chapel, outstanding exhibits of the affiliated Domuseum are above all the opulent collection of sacral treasure.

Dommuseum Frankfurt am Main
Domplatz 14
60311 Frankfurt am Main
Phone +49 (0) 69 13376186
Fax 49 69 13376185
Also: